Question
Posted by: SARAH | 2011/07/20

NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS

I would like to know, what are the negative side effects when you are an on and off again dieter? I would diet for days and then all of the sudden eat anything that comes in my way :-( maybe if i know the negative impact this have on my body i would start to stick to one eating plan

Dear Sarah
Yo-yo dieting has a negative effect on metabolism because you keep on exposing your body to different levels of food intake. One moment you may be 'starving' if you use a restricted or very-low-energy diet, the next moment the body is provided with abundant food. Now the human body has been designed to always try to stay in a state of balance and to protect you against starvation. So when you expose your metabolism to unlimited food after a period of potential deprivation, all the systems will switch to conserving energy and storing fat. To prevent this rebound fat gain, it is better to use a balanced diet with a moderate energy content which you can use all the time, instead of seesawing up and down all the time. With each period of regain you will also be exposed to the risk of gaining more weight than during the previous period of plenty!
Do try and use a balanced slimming diet and to stick to it, and your daily exercise, until you have reached your goal weight and beyond, if necessary.

2
Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/22

Dear Sarah
Dieting makes you feel so deprived that after a few days your body cannot take it anymore and makes you binge. Better to eat everything in moderation and lots of veg and fruit to even out your bloodsugar levels so that you dont binge. As soon as you feel guilty about eating something you tend to eat it faster which then causes you to eat more because you dont allow yourself to really enjoy it. Nothing in my eating plan is taboo.
Eat a very good breakfast - always - oats and fruit and yoghurt and honey with cinnamon is what I have during the week. I spread this out till lunchtime when I have a solid meal of chicken or meat or cottage cheese and salad and soup. I eat almonds and rye crackers in the afternoon. Exercise when I get home (just 30 minutes) and have supper of mostly vegetables and fat-free protein like lentils or beans or fish or chicken breat.
For dessert I have baked apple or stewed guava and banana with vanilla yoghurt and a bit of swiss muesli.
All these things keep me eating steadily and healthily and I have lost a good amount of weight over a period of months. There was no hurry but I went down from size 44 jeans to a size 38 (which is now also too big for me).
The trick is all in the planning, starting with the way that you shop.
I eat chocolates and chips but always share with someone and buy in small amounts. I dont keep these in the house. I also nibble my treats. Eat it slowly never gobble. Savour the taste - you will eat less.
A drink to keep cravings at bay - Steep sliced ginger in boiling water. Add 2 tbs of honey and juice of a fresh lemon. Allow to cool and pour into a 2 litre bottle. Fill up with cold water and sip throughout the day. Drink 2 litres of water everyday.

Good luck from one who knows what she''s talking about.

Reply to Lee

Dear Sarah