Posted by: T | 2009-03-10

Negative parenting

I have a 7 year old son. My ex is extremely critical and very intimidating of him and I. He told my son on Sunday that if his homework book wasn' t in his bag the next day, he was going to " kick him in the head" . My ex doesn' t believe things like this have a damaging effect, nor things like forcing him to eat foods he isn' t used to, or smacking him. My approach is totally opposite. What are the best ways of dealing with things like this, and what long term effects could my son have from what I perceive to be negative parenting.

Discipline is important, but it is very important that both parents, whether together or separated by divorce, should apply the same rules and sanctions, or you produce a very confused kid. And threats of violence and smacking isn't good for any child. Check the archives of the forum, as I've discussed the elements of discipline so many times I can'\t think of anything fresh to say about it.

Posted by: leeloo | 2009-03-11

ask your ex how he would like to be treated this way by his boss / employer etc? you need to stand up and take action. my dad was like that and he used to often beat the crap out of us and my mom could not interfere. i still have many issues with this and i am 40.

you have to stop this. children teach the world what they are taught at home. your son is in pain and one day that pain will manifest and you will then see the results.

please make him stop. a child is entitled to love and security and not pain and punishment. your ex has issues and takes them out on a child. what a looser.

you are an adult and you have to stop this. he is a child and relies on you. make it stop now.

Reply to leeloo
Posted by: kick him in the head | 2009-03-10

thats sick

Reply to kick him in the head