Question
Posted by: DIeter | 2009/12/04

Negative calories

I have read a few times that certain foods have negative calries ( the calories used to digest the food is more then the calrories the food has) eg that were given , celery , tomatoe , lettuce , cucumber , gherkins. Is this true ? Is there actually such a thing as free food out there other then water :) thanks

Dear Dieter
Yes, there are some foods that have such a low energy of kJ-content that one can regard them as "negative energy foods". These are: lettuce, cucumber, gherkins, tomatoes, watercress, sweet peppers, the cabbage family, mushrooms, all the berries, grapefruit, spinach, etc. The problem is that one cannot survive on these foods alone and that they are often cooked with other energy-rich foods (e.g. mushrooms fried in butter), so that after cooking they are no longer so low in energy!
Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search with 'Negative energy foods' to read the article I wrote on this subject.

1

Dear Dieter