Question
Posted by: Ang | 2008/08/13

Negative Calorie Foods

My colleague and I are both on a diet which helps us keep motivation! We are eating special K with yoghurt for breakfast and for lunch, and in between we are snacking on fruit and veg such as tomatoes, carrots, applies, pears, oranges ect. Every time we are hungry we eat one of these. I am literally eating now every hour …  ! is there a list of negative calorie foods that I can eat not for the nutritional value, but just to keep my from buying that chocolate bar …  ?

Dear Ang
I hope you and your colleague lose lots of weight. There are some foods that contain so little energy that they can be regarded as 'fat burning' or having a 'negative calorie' content, because the body uses more energy to digest these foods than they contain, e.g. lettuce, gherkins, tomatoes, grapefruit, watercress, berries, celery, cucumber - but it is impossible to survive on these foods alone. Thus you can certainly eat the so-called 'free foods', but make sure that they form part of a balanced low-fat slimming diet and that you also combine daily exercise with your diet. Also have some fat-free milk or yoghurt with your diet if you intend using it for longer periods because you are not ingesting enough calcium to meet your daily needs.