Posted by: Mary | 2009-08-12

Need weightloss for cycling

I gained about 7 kg' s the past couple of months - overeating! I do cycling but with all the extra weight, is is not that much fun. I really battle especially on the uphills. Is there a healthy way to loose this extra kg' s in about three weeks time (next race)? Please advise

Hi Mary

First thing is to reverse whatever it was that caused the gain in the first place - you have already identified the cause, and so that's the first priority. If you do that, then over time, your weight will return to where it was, and that is healthy.

You could go on a controlled eating plan in an attempt to speed this up, but I would not do this, because you'll end up energy depleted, and if you think cycling with extra weight is difficult, you don't want to try do it with too little energy. So I'd rather set the target of getting healthy by summer and not force it now. Three weeks is a short time,and I think the best you can do is eat healthily and allow your weight to return to where it was.