Posted by: anon | 2009-02-02

need urgent counselling??? WHERE AND WHO

my son it seems has had a bit of breakdown today and is very depressed. this has come out the blue as we see him every day and he always seems fine (obviously he is not)
he is desperate to talk to someone - does not have medical aid

i phoned lifeline and asked if we could bring him in - no he must phone first (??) appointments are not available the same day (???)

then i phoned the anxiety/depression help line - face to face counsellors only have appointments on Sat (????)

can somebody please advise me urgently where to go and what to do

Obvuiously, we have no idea where you are, so cannot know what local resources there are. I don;t understand about Lifeline --- its a phone service opnly, so there would be nowhere to take him to, but they ought, if competent, to be able to suggest local respources you could use. If he is agreeable about seeking help, explore your local medical scool casualty Dept or the casualty department of any good local provincial hospital.
Counsellors and therapists should always make provision for genuine emergencies. but are generally not constantly available for immediate appointments at any particular time. Calm down, yopurself, as your anxiety could be disturbing for your son. And if you can't arange something today, encourage him to be hopeful, to discuss some of whatever is troubling hijm, with you, and to wait until the earliest appointment that can be arranged for him.
Lifeline ought to be able to provide someone to talk with BY PHONE. If he is a student, there should be a student counselling service at his institution

Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-02

Lifeline does offer face to face counselling, but as CS says they should also have someone available to talk to him over the phone. This person might not however be a qualified psychologist, but rather a trained volunteer.

Reply to Maria