Question
Posted by: Lyla | 2010-07-08

Need to understand

Doc,

What is a sociopath?
I came across this while trying to resource a sensitive issue about my relationship, so I want to understand this better.

Once upon a time, people who did awful things and were cruel to others, or ignored the feelings of others, and who seemed not to recognize or care about the difference between right and wrong, tended to be called Wicked. Later they might be called a Psychopath. or Psychopathic, and later still a Sociopath. Then it became Antisocial Pwersonality Disorder.
Whatever you call them, a little goes a long way
Where I disagree with Lizard is that I don't believe this is related to the environment in which people grow up. Many sociopaths grow up in rich families and luxury, just as many poor kids grow up in awful situations and become lovely people

5
Posted by: dw | 2010-07-09

there are many factors involved.... biological, psychological, social, cultural.... everyone is right :)

Reply to dw
Posted by: Happiness | 2010-07-09

Cybershrink is right, the environment one grows up in is not the dertemining or encouraging factor for one to become a sociopath. But are more likely born with a certain malfunction in some parts of the brain. Lets get our facts straight.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: lizard | 2010-07-09

dont let your ego get the better of you cybershrink, had you cared to read my post correctly, the word slums and crazy parents, are but two examples of how one could turn out to be a sociopath, it was not a given , merely a hypothesis

Reply to lizard
Posted by: lizard | 2010-07-08

someone whose personality is a danger to society, cruel , lying, manipulative, and so on, its someone who has learnt these ways through the inviroment from where they come from, like their home, for example if you grow up in the slums, you could turn out to be a sociopath because of everything you''ve seen and learnt, ot perhaps the person had crazy cruel insane parents, there are many variations, but they were basically shaped by their social inviroment

Reply to lizard