Posted by: Janine | 2010-09-14

Need to swallow everytime

My tastebuds on the roof of my mouth became inflammed a couple of months ago. I''ve been to two different ENT specialist, they could not find anything wrong. I thought the problem might be neurological and had some tests like full blood count, vitamin levels, bacterial infection, CT scan etc. The tastebuds are better now, but recently I''ve noticed I have to swallow everytime and the problem is only on the right side. It feels like there''s something on the side of my tongue everytime. My right ear also hurts sometimes. Can you give me some advice please.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Janine

The earache (otalgia) you are complaining from may be due to a problem in the oral cavity/tongue. The body produces 1 to 1,5 litres of fluid a day in the upper airway, and this is then swallowed. If the amount is more, or the consistancy is thicker, one could start becoming aware of the drip, and this becomes problematic. If the problem persists, you need your ENT to consider an MRI scan, as this gives the best indication of the status of the tongue, and may be more helpful than finding the cause of the referred otalgia. One needs to exclude all possibilities in your case, as you are still symptomatic. An oral pathologist may also be a helpful addition to your team, as finding the cause for your symptoms should be a combined effort, if no obvious cause is found.