Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/10/03

need to slow down

hi fitness doc

well recently decided to get back into gymming in the mornings and been at it for the last 2 weeks - i also joined WW and since I am eating more and a variaty of foods my energy has been really great. my routine is the following :

Monday / Wednesday - 20 minutes cardio 40 minutes upper and lower body.
Tuesdays and Thursdays - 45 minutes cardio, jogging, walking, orbitrek and cycle
Friday - more upper and lower body

I can already see results but think I am hitting towards a burn out if I dont relax a bit. Do you think it is wiser to excercise monday - thursday take friday off and then go for a swim on saturday???? i do feel that friday mornings excercise is pushing the limit a bit cause I am a newbie even thou I keep it up and loving it. Also first time in awhile that i started doing circuit light weights again and I am loving it.

I know you dont like protein shakes but due to my lack of getting in protein (almost vegetarian) I do drink an evox 100mlwater/100ml fat free milk straight after training which I feel helps me a lot - then the rest of the day I eat a balance meal and healthy snacks... Not use to eating so much but getting use to the healthy lifestyle and excercise routine....

My BMI is already normal so just aiming to lose some body fat % and build lean muscle and tone... I am currently 52kg - body fat 26% I would be happy with my weight on 49kg and body fat 24%. I am 1.54 so very short.

I am loving the excercise but dont want to be too obsessive and also learn to relax a bit.... Lately I want to do something everyday...

HI Kasandra

Yes, I think that consider you've just begun training again, you will do well to back off for a short time. I think that the better change will be to take Wedesday off, and give yourself a midweek break. And then maybe SUnday off too. That means two days at a time, maximum, whcih should make the week much more manageable.

As for the protein, as a vegetarian, you could probably do with more protein, but my advice is to get Nestle's Nutren Active as a meal supplement - same quality (or better), cheaper and safer in terms of risk of contamination and quality control.

So that's what I'd do. It sounds as though it's on course, just take it easy, remember to set medium and long term goals and then understand that if you want to get there, you may have to slow down now!

Godo luck