Posted by: Maria | 2009-10-12

Need to sleep - Stilnox?

Hi there CS

Hope you are well and that kitty is keeping you entertained.

I' ve had tough year with meds changes but finally sort of settled down on Aropax, Epitec and Molipaxin. I can' t remember when last I slept properly as I tend to have vivid dreams/nightmares and wake up in the night, all of which gets bad very quickly when I get stressed. It' s exam time now so you can imagine.

My p-doc suggested dropping the Molipaxin and trying Aterax, which I' ve used before. I don' t like sleeping pills which is why he hasn' t given me those yet. Even at 100mg Aterax I' m waking up between 3:00 and 4:30 in the morning and cannot fall asleep again. Less dreaming than on Molipaxin though. Last week I was on study leave and most days I would sleep again for an hour during the course of the morning. Obviously while working this isn' t on.

So I guess the next step is something like Stilnox, will talk to p-doc later today. Would that be your choice for staying asleep? I don' t have too much of a problem with falling asleep initially.

Sorry, folks, but as I have to rush to Durban for an emergency, this forum was supposed to have been closed from Noon Monday, and has only been left open by mistake. So it will be extremely difficult for me to respond to all questions before Friday.
Of course, a soothing cat can also be a useful sleep aid. She;s switched from being someone who woke me in the night and very early morning, to someone who lies on me and grumbles if I get up too soon.
You need to discuss this ( the meds, not the cat ) with your shrink, as some antidepressants can stir up nightmares and disturbed sleep, and some don't ; it seems in my experience a very individual thing. The Molipaxin may be more likely to do this than the Aropax. Aterax is very sedative --- after one of those I could sleep for days. I would consider it a sleeping pill, and more likely to cause hangover effects and dependency tha Stilnox and its like.
The only snag is the the modern sleeping meds like Stilnox are designed to help you get to sleep, and to wear off well before morning It might still work to take them at 3 am, and still not be groggy by morning ( certainly more likely than if you too Aterac after midnight ).