Posted by: WJA | 2009-04-08

Need to refine diet

I need some help in refining my diet. I am a 41 yr old male, 1.75 m tall, 15 percent BF and BMI of 24.

I train 5x a week. 4 days with PT for muscle gain and 1 on my own for cardio. Average training period per day in 1 hour. Overall objective is muscle gain in upper body.

My eating habits as follows:
06:00 –  USN Protien plex, CLA, spriulina
08:00 –  50g Instant oats, low fat yoghurt and 1 fruit, Pharmaton, pro-biotic, spirulina, Omega 369
10:00 –  Fresh or dried fruit with some protein (biltong, USB protein bar), Echina Force
12:00 –  Light meal with protein, carbs, veggies, Dynamison, Spirulina, Omega 369
14:00 –  USN Protein Plex
16:00 –  Fresh or dried fruit, USN TestoMeth
17:30 –  Train and USN CreaTec
19:00 –  Light balanced meal, Omega 369, fresh fruit
Throughout the day I have between 2 and 3 litres of water.

Am I on the right track?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

You are in good shape-congratulations! You did not stipulate your current weight neither what you would like to weight thus I cannot give you specific advice ito the calorie intake however, based on what you are eating the following:

•A lot of supplement, but good ones. Just a warning Echinacea is a herb that should not be taken continuously. Also increase one of your omega 369 intakes to only an Omega 3 supplement because there is usually enough Omega 6 in a balanced diet. A warning about CLA you need to at least take in 3000mg per day before it is effective.
•The only supplement that I would include is glutamine – take a teaspoon on an empty stomach upon waking and one before bedtime.
•I would rather you eat fresh fruit than dried – too high in sugar and therefore a higher GI.
•Make sure your carbs are all low GI (barley, lentils, chickpeas, brown rice).
•The only missing link that I detect is your nutrition around your training. You need to take in 30-60 carbs during the hour of training – best is to add a small amount of protein to it – we use PeptoPro (protein in peptide format) – you can add your creatine into this drink of maybe the CreaTec already contains carbs – I do not know the product. If it is very strenuous training you need to take such a drink during training for fuel and another after training for refueling You should also within 45 minutes of completing your training take your meal replacements shake with about 40 g protein and about half that in carbs.
•At dinner I would rather eat a low GI carb in place of the fruit if the aim is to reduce your carb intake at your last meal alternatively if it is already included I would leave the meal as is.
•Your water intake is great!
•Just one last thing – other than your Omega 369 supplementation I do not see other good fats included into your diet – your fat intake should make up 20% of your calories and of that 2/3rds should be good fats (avo, nuts, olive oil, olives & seeds).

Well done – it has been a long time since I have seen someone eat so balanced!

Take care and enjoy the long weekend.