Question
Posted by: Pruimedantjie | 2010/02/22

need to prune my prune intake i think!

Dear DietDoc

I had such a fright over the weekend - I love all fruit, so i had 2 whole bags of dried prunes, it was all i ate on Saturday, too hot for any other food.
anyhow, that night, i got such bad cramps and was extremely bloated...THEN i had to visit the bathroom, and things simply poured out of me! It wasn''t supposed to work THAT quickly or violently, was it? I knew that they had a laxative effect, but THAT badly? It carried on all nigth, and yesterday I felt too weak to eat anything, even today I''m still not feeling that perky. have forced myself to eat some yoghurt and muesli, but now i''m feeling nauseaus. (spelling?) And i''m STILL extremely bloated. What should i do for relief? What is a " normal"  amount of prunes to eat?

Dear Pruimedantjie
Well you have really overdone things this time! Prunes, even the fresh ones, have a strong laxative effect and should not be eaten in portions of more than 2-3 a day. You must have eaten 10 or 20 times this amount, hence the diarrhoea and nausea. You will have to allow your poor digestive system to recover from this onslaught. Stick to eating bland foods such as toast, and tea or rooibos for 2-3 days until the symptoms have subsided. Never eat or use any food or preparation with a laxative effect in excessive quantities.
Hope you start feeling better

1

Dear Pruimedantjie
Hope you start feeling better