Question
Posted by: JD | 2009/11/23

Need to pick up KG' s ?

Dr.
I am a 29 year old man weigh bout 58 and am bout 1.8m tall. Problem is I can not pick up any weight. I feel weak all the time and it feels like I do not have power to lift up any thing. My boy is 7 years old and I use his belt if I can not find mine.
Can it be my diet? I have been to my GP that did test to see if there was any problem some where and according to him I’ m healthy for a guy that smokes.
I really need to pick up some KG. I try and eat but I just can not over eat my self, If my full I’ m full. I really get sick if I over eat myself. Unfortunately I mostly eat junk food and can not stand veggies. I do eat meat but not fish.
How do I get myself to pick up some KG as I can not take people calling me skinny or saying I have HIV… and there is a number of stuff.

Thanks JD

Dear JD
You are indeed far too underweight with a BMI of 17,9. For your height you should weigh at least 74 kg - thus an increase of 16 kg! I would recommend that you stop smoking and change your diet to eat healthy food. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear JD