Question
Posted by: Mickaila | 2011/05/07

Need to maintain fitness level

Hello there, I am starting a new job next week and this job will not allow much time for exercise. I work so close to home so I have time for a quick workout before work, after work and even during lunch. With this new job, I will have to leave about an hour earlier and I will come back an hour later. Exercise during lunch will be difficult but do-able. I will be working in a clinic so I will need a piece of equipment that is very small that I can use on my lunch. I was thinking of using a stepping machine with weights, but would that provide me with the cardio I need to maintain my current fitness level? The most I will be able to squeeze in a 20 minute walk with my puppy. I am not earning enough to join a gym but I will fork out the money for a stepping machine or something.

The problem with home exercise, or "convenience" training is exactly that - it's often so convenient that it's easy to neglect.

My advice, honestly, is to take exercise outdoors. 20 minutes, head out and do some walking or running if you can. That is not always feasible, and so sure, in that case, a machine may be best. But I'm just concerned about the limited variety of stepping every day. Remember that your target is probably 4 or 5 days a week, and while it's short, that's a lot of 'sameness' if it's purely on stepping.

So mix it up, perhaps. You have weekends, for example, to do other things, bring in variety. Step for 20 minutes, do some body weight exercises, but don't be too narrow and limit other kinds of training, especially outdoors. And with another person - other people are easily the best motivation for training, so find a new colleague and work together!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/05/12

Reply to fitnessdoc