Posted by: Nicola | 2010-02-26

Need to lose weight

Hi, I really need to lose weight. What do you think of weight watchers? Will it be effective if combined with walking daily? I cant do too much exercise due to back problems. Would taking something like herbex along with doing the weight watchers help or would I be wasting money trying out the slimming products on the market? Please help Im quite desperate.

Hi Nicola

I think it's OK, in principle. As are most ideas that are not "revolutionary" - those are the ones you need to be careful of, the programmes that guarantee results and revolutionary methods for weight loss. There's really nothing revolutionary - it just takes discipline, hard work and time. The solution is regular exercise plus a very good diet, and if you want my advice, then I would suggest that you spend money on one thing upfront, and that's a dietary assessment from a qualified person.

When it comes to diet, one size does NOT fit all, and so the generic diets that the programmes offer have a 50-50 chance of working, and the best investment you can make is to speak face to face to a dietician, have them assess your diet, suggest different options and put together an eating programme. Rather spend the money on that, and not on supplements, because supplements only detract from long term success. There is little evidence that they work, no evidence that they're safe, and they take focus away from what is important - diet.

So check in with a dietician, and take it from there!