Question
Posted by: K2 | 2009-02-16

Need to lose weight

I' m a 70 year old man and I need to lose about 50-60kg' s. My cholesterol is too high and I' m a diabetic (type 2).

I cannot exercise because my hips and knees ache constantly but i take daily walks in my garden. Please help.

Dear K2
It is essential for anyone with diabetes and raised cholesterol levels to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications, age and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low-fat content and a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
The low-fat, low-GI diet will assist with weightloss.