Posted by: Dee | 2009-04-28

Need to know

Hi Doc,

I need to know what underlying medical conditions a eating disorder like bulimia can cause?

I recently confessed to my doctor that I have been suffering from bulimia. He tested my thyroid, my kidneys and my liver, cholestrol, sugar and hormones, and everything was fine, expect for a ' just under normal'  white blood cell count.

I need to know what else I need to have tested.

Hi Dee
When you have bulimia, and you self induce vomiting, you lose a lot of important electrolytes through the stomach fluid. This can cause heart irregularities, liver and kidney problems. A very low fat absorbtion can cause hormonal imbalances and also reduce the absorbtion of important vitamins A, D, E and K, and the loss of other important soluble vitamins can cause deficiencies leading to anemia and low immunity. The acid from your stomach can burn the esophagus and damage the enamel of the teeth.
Also see