Posted by: Hello | 2008-12-12

Need to help a friend

I have a friend who is 23 years old and I suspect she is a nymphomaniac. When she doesn' t have sex she gets extremmely aggressive. The problem with this is that she is putting herself in very dangerous situations to get it. She goes home with different guys very often without knowing them. Not only is she risking her health and reputation but I am worried that these men might harm her physically. She has not grown up in a loving house hold - not sure if that might be a cause. I recently had a heart to heart with her and told her what she is doing from my perspective, she admitted she needs to change but she carries on doing it. How can I help her?

It sounds like you already are by being there and understanding as far as is possible. You could possibly get her the details of Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (get details from large addiction/rehab centres in your area) and try to encourage her to go. You could also write her a letter explaining your feelings for her and what your concerns are so that she can return to this later if she chooses to. Other than that, there is little more you can do -if you become more involved/try to change her behaviour somehow you are only likely to alienate her and this will deprive her of a supportive environment when eventually her wheels fall off... Of course, it would also be understandable if you are finding this difficult and frustrating - remember that whilst you care, you are not responsible for her and there is only so much you can do. Sometimes people have to come to their own realisation, and sadly this is sometimes only when some damage has been done...

Posted by: eragon | 2008-12-12

Your friend is filling a void for what is really the issue in her life which has caused her to look for the self gratification that sex can give , she needs to dig deep and you can help her get ther depending if she opens up to you or not
but she needs to realise that as much fun as it is it can also make her emotionally detached and when that person comes along who really loves her for what she is , she will loose that person

Reply to eragon