Question
Posted by: Mxolisi | 2011-11-14

Need to gain weight

My weight''s been fluctuating between 69kg and 60kg over the past 12 years, and I am 1.72m tall (relatively ok BMI). I have been at 62kg for the past 2 years and would like to gain to approximately 70kg, but healthy weight gain. My diet is cereal breakfast, full meal lunch and full meal dinner and about 3 fruits every day. I really would like to gain weight but healthily.

Mxolisi

Dear Mxolisi
Your present BMI = 20,9, which is on the low side of normal weight. If you weighed 70 kg, then you would have a better BMI of 23,6. The diet you describe sounds adequate, so to gain those extra 8 kg, you may have to use a liquid meal supplement. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

3
Posted by: Mxolisi | 2011-11-15

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will try your recommendations, and will also update you by end Nov of the initial outcomes.

Reply to Mxolisi
Posted by: Michelle | 2011-11-14

I have the same problem as you!
I recently bought a supplement to add to my diet and have noticed a difference in the 10 days I''ve been on it.
I am lactose intolerant so have an egg protein shake with added carbs. But I''m sure a Whey protein shake would work for you.
Go to Dischem and chat to the guys at the health foods/supplements aisle, we have found them to be really knowledgeable and helpful!
Good luck!

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-14

Dear Mxolisi