Posted by: Skinny | 2009-01-28

Need to gain weight

Dear Doc, I don' t have any major illnesses, I' m perfectly healthy, except for the occassional sniffs during winter. I have this energy whereby I can' t relax for too long, I don' t like wasting time relaxing whereby I could be doing something constructive. I have a full time job and do all my own housework. I am skinny and not happy with my appearance. I was thin but I' m now I' m really skinny. My height is 1.76m and I weigh 54kgs. I' ve retrieved a weight gain eating plan on this website, however, I think it' s a bit difficult whilst at work?

Please advise

Dear Skinny
You are indeed very thin with a BMI of 17,4. To be safely within the normal range your would need to weigh at least 65 kg. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements. Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. So use the liquid meal supplement if you find it difficult to eat at work, but do make a plan to at least eat your 3 main meals each day. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

Posted by: Melanie | 2009-01-28

No man! why you complaining??? why dont you just eat loads of chocs/donuts/cream eclairs and starchy foods then. surely you will pick up weight after a while. i wouldnt bother too much if i were you. Wish I had that problem.
good luck though.

Reply to Melanie