Question
Posted by: Jak | 2008-12-06

Need to build muscle

Im 16 and play rugby, in the lock position so obviously im quite tall.
I exercise every night in the form pushups and situps and do 20 of each is this enough? Will I need to do more to build muscle?
I also briefly work out with dumbells doing bicep curls and a shoulder exercise I do not know what it is called but I have a straight arm with my knuckles facing upwards my arm begins down at my side then I lift it in line with my shoulder, basically I need to know if this is good enough, if not what will I need to do to build and maintain muscle.

Hi Jak

At the age of 16, you're already growing, naturally, so you don't need to overdo the weight training in an attempt to get huge. I would just continue to do body weight training and the weight work you're doing, unless you are able to get very good, specific advice from someone who is trained. There is a danger of doing too much, and injuriing yourself by trying to lift very heavy weights, or using incorrect technique.

So just keep this going, make sure that you're eating enough (see a dietician if you're really serious about this), and train for rugby like the other guys you play with. That combinatino of regular exercise and a good diet will see that you continue to grow for a couple more years, and then you can look at really building muscle.