Posted by: Fourie | 2009-01-10

Need to beef up

Ive been exercising down the gym for quite some time and ive
noticed 2 things, 1. I dont seem to be building much muslce, all it really is doing is hardening not really growing, 2. my body looks almost exactly the same as it did before I started going.
Also I was wondering how many days a week I should be going, at the moment its 3-4 days.

Hi Fourie

Hard to say - I don't know how long you've been going or how long "some time" is. Your progress also depends on genetics, training intensity, diet etc. so it's difficult to know exactly what is required to change it.

So a couple of things - are you getting stronger? I presume so, since you would likely have raised that point. But if you aren't, then you might not be adapting, perhaps because you're training too infrequently on each group, or because you're not eating correctly, or you're not lifting heavily enough.

Next, what exactly does your programme look like, and how heavy are you lifting. I'm guessing here, because I don't know that information, but you need to aim for 3 sets of between 10 and 15 reps at first,a nd then once you get stronger, bring that down to 10 reps, or even 6 to 10, but lift much heavier. And then you might close to training to fatigue, which is not a bad thing. So all these things need to be looked at.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-01-11

Can comment on the first statement yet as for the second maybe you could meassure yourself as a few cm s isn' t that noticable....
I personally would like going to gym between 5-6 times per week when I' m healthy...but even 3-4 times is better than no exercising.

Reply to Zexeon