Posted by: Depressed | 2009-04-07

Need time off work for counselling

I have to see a psychiatrist every 2-3 weeks or so ongoing to work through severe childhood trauma, current depression and long-term stress which she says has affected my coping skills. I' ve been honest with my employer, my work is excellent and they are understanding. We have a clock-in system. Thing is what is the legal way to do it, work in the time (obviously recorded on the system), or take leave in " advance"  until the medical appointments deplete that leave or take leave for each appointment or just clock in and out let it be recorded and then see how much leave I owe the company? They seem undecided as to the best way to do it, its give and take based on trust, but of course they can' t set a precedent as its ifficial long-term appointments. I am known for coming in a bit early and leaving a bit late, no brownie points that is just me.

Secondly I ask you this as I am desperate - I earn too much to go to legal aid, I am seriously in debt, had to give up debt counselling and am stoney broke despite my great salary. The childhood trauma I speak of lasted 40 years (no jokes). Where does one go to for help / representation in a case like this?

Thanks very much

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You certainly can take sick leave at any stage you believe that it is important. The company cannot stop you taking sick leave.

Posted by: Debbie | 2009-04-15

What my bompany did was calculate the hours i was off for counciling and took that off my sick leave. SO it never interferred with my leave and it was fair both ways

Reply to Debbie