Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2011/06/09

Need some info.

Hi doc. Just want some info. After much deliberation and month''s of my hubby and my best friend to convince me to go and talk to a phychologist, I''ve finally made and appointment to go, and attempt to sort out some of my issues. I just want to know, what happens when you go? What do they expect from you. Do you talk and they listen, or do they ask you all kinds of questions, or what. I''m a bit nervous, the thought of this makes me a bit nervous. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

K

Eish, I was fnishing SUCH a great answer here, and then the internet twitched and lost the whole darn thing !
Here goes again. Relax. A shrink is experienced at helping you to relax and feel comfortable. They vary a bit, as do all people, but the general pattern is familiar. IN the early sessions they would hope you would discuss your problems / concerns so they could understand what might need to be done. They would ask more questions than in later sessions, to be sure they understand you properly, and to fill in relevant gaps you might not think to mention.
They would hope you would be frank ( hiding things from your shrink isn't helpful, as that's like taking your car to a garage and failing to mention that awful noise it makes when going downhill). They would be sympahetic, and friendly, and would hope in early sessions to clarify what sort of agenda you'd like to set - what the issues are, what diagnosis, if any, is appropriate, and what sort of therap would help, with what aims in mind.
Come back and let us know how it went !

3
Posted by: Kitty | 2011/06/10

Thanks so much for that, I will surely let you know how it went. I''m sure it will be fine. Provided the person i''m going to is a good shrink. Oh well, I''ll go and see how it goes

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: Liza | 2011/06/09

Try and relax. It''s not as terrible as what you think it is. At first the psychologist will ask some questions - just to get the background and once that is done, you start to discuss your problems. You don''t need to worry that you won''t be able to answer the questions - even if you cannot answer a question, just tell the psychologist that you cannot answer.

If a psychologist just expects you to talk and doesn''t guide your thoughts - it''s a terrible psychologist. When I discuss my problems with my shrink, he listens to what I have to say BUT he continually asks questions - especially when I''m not thinking straight - that shows me how illogical my thinking is...

You must just be completely honest. Being less than honest just turns the sessions into a waste of time.

Good Luck
Liza

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza

Come back and let us know how it went !