Posted by: Bigmamma | 2009-07-08

Need Sleep

My daughter is now 14 months old on the 5 of July, she’ s a God send and we love her dearly!! The problem is that she’ s not sleeping during the night! If I could explain:
The day starts at 7am, then mommy and daddy goes to work and Miandre stay’ s (at home) with the nanny who I love to death, she looked after me when I was young, so anyway, at 8 o’ clock she eats her “ pap”  just regular “ mielie pap”  and she’ ll be of to sleep around 9.30am till 10.15am (this happens almost every day), then when she wakes up the nanny will give some yogurt or something nice. She then plays with her toys and she’ s a very busy toddler, during the day she’ ll make you tired just looking at her!! Hahahaha
Then between 1pm and 2pm (I’ ll give her, her cooked foods like chicken or beef with veggies and then I’ ll give her breast milk (I’ m still breastfeeding, I trying so hard to stop, but nothing works for me, the lack of sleep makes me CRAZY)but anyway, then at 2.30 she’ ll sleep till 3.15pm, yet again following with a snack of some sort. Then when mommy comes home from work, we’ ll play and laugh till around 5.30pm, then at 6pm its time for her bath, its regularly a peaceful event in our house, we try keeping things calm, but as you now toddlers and water, it’ s too much fun to just sit there quietly, so we let her enjoy her bath, shame, she enjoys it very much!!! Then it’ s time for sleep around about 7pm and 7.30pm. (Now that’ s its winter, she sleeps with me and hubby in bed) Now the FUN starts, I’ ll give her breast milk and then she’ ll fall asleep while she’ s drinking on my breast, then an hour later she’ ll wake again, just for me to give her breast milk again, and again she’ ll fall asleep while drinking, again she’ ll wake at 12 O’ CLOCK at night (mommy is by now mad/tired/frustrated and very sleepy) where I again will give her breast milk just to quietly try to get her back to sleep, she will go back to sleep and an hour or so later the whole thing will repeat itself over and over again till 7 O’ CLOCK the next morning!!!
Could you please advise me on what to do! If tried everyone, from Dr’ s from Health24 to my Peaditrition in my home town, and no one was able to help me!!!
Thank you in advance.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

She really has you well-trained, doesnt she? She gets absolutely everything she wants, including dominating the bed at night.

she needs to be in her own bed for starters. It is normal to wake every 60 to 90 minutes at night, but she needs to learn that this does not mean that mommy and daddy are at her beck and call at that time - parents also have rights. If she wakes, she has to understand that she rolls over and goes back to sleep. Or plays quietly in her own bed. But waking the rest of the household is most certainly not OK.

When she wakes, check that she is OK, reassure her, then put her down and go back to bed. If she carries on screaming, she is really just telling you that she doesnt like the discipline.

I'm sure you have been given many different techniques to get her to sleep once she is howling - choose the one you prefer, and use it.

Frankly, the only reason to keep her in your bed at this stage, is if you enjoy being tired all day, and dont intend having more children.

Good luck!

Posted by: Anneke Lottering | 2009-09-01

Hi Bigmamma, I am replying on your request for help just to find out if you are sorted out with the advise from the expert. My baby is 10months old, with the same roetine, expect for the breastfeeding part (just miss it to bits) however, I need help as she started waking up and screaming just after 22 30 and keeps on going until 03:30 with 30 -40min sleep break inbetween. This is killing me and I do not know what to do or where to begin. She is healthy nothing wrong like snuffels, flu or fewer - I just need help or just seeing if the advise is working?
Please be so kind as to respond to my mail. Thank you.

Reply to Anneke Lottering
Posted by: naniki | 2009-07-13

i have lot of dreams and its like iam not sleeping at all

Reply to naniki