Question
Posted by: Anje | 2011/05/12

Need referral

Who is the correct therapist / specialist / expert to evaluate your child (3 years old) who is struggling to addapt to school. Already saw occupational therapist - was not impressed, she actually breastfed her 1 year old while doing the evaluation on my son! Also, she did not quite sound like she was the person for the job? Please I''m at a point where I need therapy just to get him to school.

3 is very young to be at school, and I wonder what is expected of such an infant in "adjusting"to school. Occupational therapists have NO relevant qualifications to assess children psychologically, and I canot understand why they are so often recommended by schools. Breastfeeding during an assessment is thoroughly unprofessional. If it is considered essential for the boy to go to some sort of pre-school, a child psychologist should be the right person to assess the situation and to advice on it, and any good school should be able to recommend an experienced local child psychologist, rather than an OT lacking the relevant qualifications and training.

10
Posted by: Lilly | 2011/05/12

Actually only remembered to mention this little shocker after I posted my reply. My father''s g/f works at a nursery school in Lynwood as a teacher for the 4-year olds and she''s told me that they were told to turn a blind-eye when it comes to kids touching order kids as it might reflect badly on the nursery school (seeing it''s in a very well-off area in Pretoria) or damage the school''s reputation!!! I was not only shocked but totally disgusted!!! She''s told stories of how these kids touch each other at every opportunity they get to be alone and how some of them even told her that their daddy and mommy says it''s ok and that she can''t do anything to them!!! Anyway, that''s just my little wake-up call to all parents out there who might suspect something is going on but just won''t believe it seeing their kids are in so-called " good"  nursery school.

I have to tell you Anje, this happened 2 years ago and she sometimes still talks about how naughty ...... was when he touched her - kids don''t forget!!!

Good luck gf ... nothing hurts more than seeing your kids hurt!!!

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Anje | 2011/05/12

Thank you so much. Will most certainly schedule an appointment with a child psychologist.

Lilly, it breaks my heart to read your story and I think that is the thing all parents are so very afraid of. Like you say, my son might not even be abused in any way whatsoever, but how do I know?

Thank you all very much. Much appreciated.

Reply to Anje
Posted by: Lilly | 2011/05/12

Sweeti get him out of that school! My daughter was 4 and showed the same symptoms and I also thought it was a wonderful school and the problems surely must be at home ... till i found out that she was being molested by another problem-child in her class!!!!! She kept on telling me that this boy is naughty, but kids being kids I never paid much attention to it! Not saying the same is happening to your kid, but never be too sure about anything ... and seeing he''s only 3 he doesn''t yet have the ability to express himself and tell you what''s wrong. I eventually had to take her to a child psychologist who had quite a few sessions with her and made her understand that it''s not her wrong-doing but that she was wronged. Get help NOW!!!

Reply to Lilly
Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/12

Ask on the parenting forum as well.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Anje | 2011/05/12

Work in Cresta area and stay in Strubensvalley. I really don''t mind travelling for little one, so any refferal would be greatly appreciated. (Obviously in Jhb though) I just need someone to help him cope better. Tanx so much for your assistance this far.

Reply to Anje
Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/12

Shame Anje, that is really distressing. The problem with LO''s that young is that they often cannot verbalise what is bothering them. If you tell us where you are maybe someone can recommend a good professional who can help your little guy through play therapy.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Anje | 2011/05/12

Hi Maria and Nonnie, thanks for the reponses. Don''t get me wrong, I''m not judging all OT''s and are more than willing to go to another. (If that in fact is the correct person. Maybe a child psyc is a better option?) He was at home with grandma until late last year when we actually started " weening"  him into going to school and he started going full time in January. The first 6 weeks was obviously hell but I was fine with that, I knew it would happen. He then coped quite well and actually seemed to enjoy it. Lately however he starts crying before he even opens his eyes in the morning when I wake him. (No tantrum, just real emotion) He cannot tell me what bothers him and all seems fine at school in my opinion (I have popped in unnanounced and the like, nothing that bothered me. The owners are very experienced and hands on so I cannot find fault with anything) But hey, I suppose all parents " think"  that until they actually know. My problem is, how do I find out if there is more to it or not? I know most kids go through phases.

Reply to Anje
Posted by: Nonnie | 2011/05/12

Which area are you in? There is an excellent educational psychologist at the Medicross in Princess Crossing, Roodepoort. I have faith that she would be able to assist you and your child.

Reply to Nonnie
Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/12

Wow. Ok I don''t think you should judge all OT''s by the actions of this one, she sounds really unprofessional. In what way is your son struggling? I assume you have investigated if there is anything wrong at school? Is this the firs time he is going?

A child psychologist who works with young kids might be able to help. He is still quite young for therapy, but she might be able to identify exactly what the problems are and advise you on how to handle it.

Reply to Maria