Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009/10/27

Need name of counselor

Dear Doc,

I have an issue with over eating. I lost 60 kilograms and now I am losing control of my eating again and have already regained 15 kilos.
I know I have issues from my childhood, for example I have no memory of my young years and when friends talk about my childhood I realise something must be wrong.
How do I find a counselor who specialises with eating disorders. I never know who to go and see and I dont want to have to go from person to person.
Sam

SOunds like you have at least problems relating to eating, food and weight and shape that deserve some expert help. But here are some misconceptions you're dealing with, too.
There is NO good reason to assume anything went wrong in your childhood to explain any problems later in life, especially eating disorders - and even if there was, going to a quack analyst who will spend years grubbing round in your past history will do nothing to help your current symptoms and problems. See a good modern psychologist who does not provide wishy-washy and pointless analytic "therapy" and see a modern Cognitive-Behaviour Therapist ( CBT ) which DOES help.
Also don't assume there must have been something terribly wrong if you don't remember your younger childhood years - that is NOT correlated in any way with child abuse or other early problems, pr wioth eating disorders or other later problems. Indeed, before around 5, very few normal people remember anything at all. One's memory just doesn't work that way.
Also, though it'd be desirable to see a therapist / counsellor who ha some experience in eating disorders, you don't need one who specialises exclusively in eating or weight problems. And you absolutely do NOT need to see someone with potty ideas about early childhood abuse as a cause of later problems, as such "therapists" rarely help and often make things worse.
FAMSA is a national organization which can often help you find a range of experienced local counsellors.

1