Posted by: Charmy | 2009-07-28

Need help with teenage daughter.

My daughter is 14 years old &  in grade 8. Since last year she has started doing the weirdest things. She is currently smoking. On Friday last week, my son saw she had money in her pocket, she was on her way to teenage church, she has stolen R200-00 from him. She did not even try &  deny it. Sunday she wanted to go with a girlfriend to a mall, I said no as I do not like the friend. I was sworn at. This morning when I wanted to fetch my cigarettes from the cupbored they were missing.
She is extremely selfish. I give her a lot of freedom but I do feel that she gets away with murder &  there is never any consequenses for her actions.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

its very important here to establish clear firm boundaries, and to think about what reasonable consequences there may be if your daughter defies you. If she is going to continue stealing from you and then ignoring what you have to say about it, you wil need to consider at which point you make it clear that if the stealing continues you will involve the police.

How are things at school? Are there also problems with her behaviour there? If so you may want to speak to the school counsellor. Some aspects of this are normal adolescent responses to boundaries when wanting increasingly more freedom, but the stealing needs to be addressed, as do the issues of respecting reasonable parental authority.