Posted by: MELS | 2009-06-18

Need help with my teenage daughter

I do' nt know what to do anymore? I just need to know how should i handle my daughter. My daughter is so sturborn she is so rude to everybody in the house. I have punished her for her behaviour. She ask to go some where i give her a certian time to come back she will always come back an hour later or sometimes four hours. She also started drinking. I have spoken to her she always say she is sorry and then will just do it the following weekend again. I even punish her and tell her that she is not going out she will just jump through the window and go out while we asleep. She is not doing well in school she thinks school is not important only having fun is whats important to her now. Do i just leave to carry on the way she carry on or do i keep on punishing her or do i just ignore her

Expert ImageTeen expert

I would suggest that you consider having an assessment with a psychologist or psychiatrist. You do not state how old your daughter is, as this will also give an indicator as to how serious the situation is.

There needs to be a restablishing of boundaries about what is acceptable in your home or not, and a professional specialising in adolescents will be best placed to assist you. Your family doctor should have professionals they can refer you too.

Posted by: MELS | 2009-06-23

Thank you for your advise it really means alot to me. And i will try and be her friend and stop trying to control her. Thank you so much

Reply to MELS
Posted by: Your friendly advisor | 2009-06-22

Punishing her is not the answer. When I was about her stage in life I would do that and a little more. (I' m now 24, getting engaged with a Managerial position). Unfortunately it takes a lot to wake children up if they are so stubborn. My case, I was almost killed in a brutal car accident. Stop being the enemy in her eyes. If she wants to do something, believe me, you have no control over it. Parents now days are very naive in thinking that they can control their young, but we just knew how to " milk them" . Try your utmost to be the friend (truly and honestly and without judgement) and then she will let you in. Eventually my mother and I used to talk about everything, no matter how shocking the story was, but she became my closest friend. Try it....

Reply to Your friendly advisor