Question
Posted by: Help | 2008/06/18

Need help with my 7 year old

I have a 7yr old daughter in grade 2, she attended a montessori school before joining the primary school. I have really struggling with her now as at a montessori they instil in the child that if they don't want to work then they don't have to. Obviously this is now interferring with her work in grade 2 (also in grade 1), if she doesn't want to work she just writes down anything, then goes off to play on the mat. What can I do to get this montossori nonsense out of her?? Her teacher has said that if she continues as is, she will have to repeat the grade. Her teacher also mentions that she is quite immature for her age? could this also be part of the problem.
thanks

Dear Help
Please take your child to an occupational therapist for an evaluation, there may be developmental problems that makes it difficult for her to do the tasks and that causes her to avoid them. At this age they are normally not "lazy" (yet - that comes in the teenage years :-)

1
Posted by: sadi | 2008/06/18

I have heard lots of bad stories about the Montessori way of teaching. Friends have taken their children out of these schools as they have experienced the same problems as you. It has taken one family 8 months to change their childs attitude towards Primary school and the discipline there.
Hope you come right with your daughter.

Reply to sadi