Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-10

Need help with a run

OK well im 16 years old 6" 2 and 14 stone, as you can tell im a big lad and probably not the fastest however I have a good level of fitness and spend 15 minutes each gym session doing cardio, I go to the gym 3 times a week. I need to complete a 1125m run in 5 minutes to get into a rugby college, how tough will this be and what will I need to do to prepare for it. Im pretty sure that 1125m is about 0.7 miles correct me if im wrong, ive done this in the gym on the x trainer in 4 minutes but obviously running normally is different from using an x trainer how different would you say it is and how much do you think it would affect my time.

Hi Tom

Yes, 1125m is about 0.7 miles. Funny distance to have to run, but anyway. Running that in under 5 minutes is not that tough, if you're relatively fit. I think the best thing you can do is first figure out where you are at fitness and performance wise. I know you've done 4 minutes on the treadmill, but maybe you can find a grass track or even a football field that has known dimensions. For example, if you find a rugby field and you know that the touchlines are 90m long, and the endlines are 60 m long, then doing one full lap of the field would give you a total of 300m. That means that four laps of a rugby field is equal to about 1200m, which would be a nice test distance.

I reckon you should first try that and just see what you're up against. Let's say you go out and run this 1200m test in 4 minutes 40 seconds. Then you have no problem, you're already fit enough. If you run it in 5 minutes 30 seconds, then it's touch and go, and so then you start to train a little more specifically for it.

So do that first, then decide. If you need to do some more training, my advice is to do what is called interval training. Here, find a stretch of grass that measures about 200m (you can run around the rugby field again), and repeat runs of 200m, maybe 4 or 5 times, with a short rest in between. For example, once a week, I'd say run 6 x 200m aiming for about 45 seconds, with a rest of 1 minute in between. If you can do that session, then you'll be training just faster than you have to run this trial, and teaching your body how to do it. But only do that once a week, not more, or you might injure yourself.

Posted by: Tes | 2009-04-10

Tom, you need to increase your gym training and run everyday for about 20 - 30 mins (ie. about 4km) Then you need to work on your sprints. Because 0.7miles in 5minutes is a fast pace.
You should run about 20 or 30 minutes 5 or 6 times a week. Work on it and you' ll only get faster, fitter and stronger!

Reply to Tes