Question
Posted by: Halley | 2010/01/28

Need help to GAIN weight, please.

Good day, I am writing as I would like some assistance for my husband. He has lost 8kgs since December and I suspect it' s because he' s not eating enough. I have gotten him to have a bowl of porridge every morning this week but he is on his feet the whole day and sometimes doesn' t have time to eat. In the evenings he has a large portion of whatever I made for supper. He is 1.8m tall and weighs 60kgs. Is there anything I can give him with his food to help him gain weight?

Dear Halley
It is always important to find out what is causing unexplained weightloss (underlying illness, overactive thyroid, depression and anxiety, etc) and to treat the cause. Please get your husband to have a medical checkup just to ensure that he has no underlying disease.
Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your hubby's energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your hubby's need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically he needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much he eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to his regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If your husband uses a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then he should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear Halley