Question
Posted by: Worried | 2009-07-21

Need Help! Gastrointestinal problem

Hi! I am a 23yr woman who needs some medical advise. 2 years ago I went to numerous doctors to find out what was wrong with my stomach (I have abdominal pain, nausia, fatigue, stomach cramps, weight loss etc). I eventually went to a Gastro who performed a colonoscopy which came out clear. He summized that I had IBS and gave me a range of meds to take to relieve cramps. I still struggle after 2 years but believe it is a lifestyle issue. However, lately I have found blood in my stools. And not just a little bit, ALOT (the other day I got confused because I thought I had my period!)! I am REALLLLY worried and not sure if this is normal or if I should see a GP?

Dear Worried
I agree with you, blood in the stool is not normal - see your GP to exclude a bleeding hemorroid or something in the rectal area. If he finds nothing there, he may need to refer you back to the gastro for further examination and treatment. You may have inflammation in the bowel (colitis)
dr Bets