Question
Posted by: Confused | 2011/01/09

Need help

Hi Cyberdoc

Over the past couple of months, I have been feeling real bad, so many symptoms to describe, as it will be a whole essay. My GP wants to put me on anti-depressants, I do feel depressed, but I dont believe that depression can cause the physical pain I am in, and I am not a big fan of anti-depressants. I am depressed because of the physical pain and constant feeling of illness. He does not want to refer me to a specialist to get proper check up, as he believes its all in my head, and he wants me to try the anti-depressants first. My question to you is, do I need a referral to see a specialist for a general all over check up, or can I just make an appointment myself? If it is all in my head its OK, but I have a history of cancer in the family (5 family members passed away due to cancer, and sister with breast cancer), and I want to make sure all is fine, and my doc is not keen on doing scans, test ect...as he looks at me and say its depression. What is your opinion? If you agree with me, do you have any good specialist that you can refer me to that does not require a doctor''s referral in the Krugersdorp area?

Thank you Cyberdoc

Hallo Confused
Most specialists would prefer a referral from a GP, but you can try calling a physician and asking whether he will be willing to see you without a referral. Please give me more info regarding your pain - if it is joint pain you should maybe see someone with a special interest in rheumatology.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/10

Hallo Confused