Posted by: fifi | 2009-01-18

need guidance please

hi doc!i will be starting gym 19jan and would like to know from you how i can lose weight with diff forms of cardio, treadmill and fitness trainer. my height 1.56,my weight 65kg and age 27years. im a bout 14kg over weight.overall my health is good. i have a small body frame. i would really appreciate your guidance. regards fifi

Hi Fifi

You need a programme that is based around cardio training, including walking, jogging, cycling, perhaps aerobics, depending on what you have access to.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focussed on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.