Question
Posted by: overweight | 2010-09-06

Need change of lifestyle

Hi, I am an overweight 35year old female, and so unhappy with my body. I have 2 beautiful children ages 3 and 6 years, and feel that the weight is just piling on since then.
I am 163cm tall, and weigh 75kg, don''t do any excercises, I am studying for a degree part time, work full time as a product manager, and a mother and wife after hours. I purchased a treadmill, but don''t have the energy to go on it, nor a programme (ie not too sure what to do on it.) Do you have a certain eating plan, that will give me energy as well as assist me with weight loss and a treadmill program to get me to a fitness level? I know I have put on a lot of weight as my " fat"  pants split yesterday. please advise me.

Dear Need Change of Lifestyle
Your present BMI = 28,2 which is in the overweight range. To achieve an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 59 kg, thus a loss of 16 kg, which is a lot of weight to lose. As you say, to lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for 30 min a day. The suggested diet should provide you with plenty of energy because it does not cut out carbohydrates which are used as fuel for the body. Now that you have gone to the trouble of purchasing a treadmill, I reckon you should use it! I don't have a programme for such a treadmill (did you buy it 2nd-hand?), but if you Google the manufacturers you should be able to obtain a set of instructions from them (i.e. how to operate the treadmill so that you don't injure yourself). Once you know how to operate it, you can do 10 min whenever you get a chance (e.g. before you sit down to study, after studying for an hour, etc). Start slowly at a low level of effort for 10 min and as you lose weight and get fitter, you can walk faster and longer. The exercise will not only promote weightloss, but also improve your circulation of oxygen to your brain and assist with the studies.
I do hope you can handle all these things you are doing at the moment and will find time to exercise.
Good luck also with the studies

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-06

Dear Need Change of Lifestyle
Good luck also with the studies