Question
Posted by: Tina | 2012/09/07

Need advice on picking up weight

Hi doctor, I have recently been very ill and have lost a lot of weight. My BMI is 18, so it is on the low side and I need advice on the best way to pick up weight again. I eat every 3 hours or so but cannot manage much. Ontop of that, the reason for the illness was being bitten by a violin spider for which there is no anti-venom and the body has to deal with it itself. I''m fighting but need advice! Thank you

Dear Tina
I am aghast that being bitten by a violin spider has made you so extremely ill and caused such drastic loss of weight. A BMI of 18 is indeed low and it would be desirable for you to gain some weight. I have written some articles on the subject of weight gaining which may be of assistance. For basic information click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' to access the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can also purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight after your severe illness and see which products he or she will recommend (e.g. Ensure, Nutren, Fresubin with fibre, etc). Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. I would also recommend that you take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Supradyn Forte or Centrum to boost your immunity after your illness.
Keep on fighting

1

Dear Tina
Keep on fighting