Posted by: BB | 2013-01-22

Need a fix

Hi, Me and my husband met 10 years ago. Married for 4 years this coming Nov. We had our ups and downs like any other couple. A few years back he wanted to commit suicide about feeling useless and what not. He felt his life was empty. He wanted children. After that he went to see someone for help. He really wanted children - I wanted too but not at that stage.... with time I decided I''d love a little bundle of joy. He was happy. Since the birth of our son - it is most of the time difficult to get him to carry his weight. He is a good father but VERY impatient, has anger burst outs and just will do things when it best suites him. Our son is now 15 months old. I do not regret having him and he brings all the joy into my life. A baby does change a lot of things in a home. I knew that but did my husband? When my son is sick it is always me getting up in the middle of the night. Last night my son was difficult and I woke him up to get me some medicine. After breaking everything on his way he storms back with the wrong stuff and swears at me - this morning he says he can''t remember anything. I fail to believe that. Was he prepared for having a child? To fight all the time about the same things are tiring. And it hurts. He lost his job as well. We are coping but the funds will run out at some stage. When ever we have an argument he blames it on something. It is never just him. I tell him exactly what the problem is and what I would like from him and he will every time bluntly ask ''but what do you want from me''? REALLY? I do love him and he gave the best gift of life. He does a lot of good but the few bad things is overpowering his good. What do I do?

Someone who was suicidal was almost certainly significantly depressed. You don't say who he saw or for what form of treatment, but what you describe now still sounds l;ike an untreated depression, needing expert assessment and a discussion of treatment options.
Also, is there a possibility of him over-indulging in alcohol and/or street drugs, to complicate the situation ?

Posted by: BB | 2013-01-24

He saw a psychologist for almost a year - she gave him anti depressants. He has never over indulg in alcohol (only have a beer or so on occassion) and never used drugs. If we had the money I would really like him to go back because it really helped our relationship at that time. I feel so useless because I really want us to be happy but I don''t know what to say or do. He is a good man and I will do anything for us toe be happy family.

Reply to BB