Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-23

Neck strength

Im 16 and play rugby as a prop, obviously if im going to collide necks with a heavy prop and the rest of the scrum im going to need a pretty strong neck to prevent injuries, do you know any good neck exercises for strengthening the muscles

Hi Tom

Lat pull downs and shoulder press are important to provide some support to the shoulders, which are just as important as the neck. For the neck itself, not really, that will happen with functional work, like actually playing the game. But the same programme you do for the shoulders and upper back will strengthen the neck.

Posted by: Hiker | 2009-05-01

I am 66 y.o.a. and once a week (only) do a hike varying in length between 6 and 12 kms. Some are more strenuous than others and I find lately when doing a stiff ascent/descent that I start experiencing pain between my shoulder blades. I' m very careful to look where I' m placing my feet to avoid a fall and because my head is therefor leaning down a lot, I feel this may be causing a certain amount of " pull"  on my neck. I am also careful to not " overload"  my backpack and, compared to some of my fellow hikers, my pack is reasonably light. I have found though that when I' ve experienced the pain, by removing my pack and carrying it in my hand(s), the pain is relieved to somewhat. Do you have any suggestions as to the cause and cure for this pain? Thank you.

Reply to Hiker