Posted by: Loki | 2008-11-04

Neck Stifness

I am 35 years old, male and prone to severe stress headaches due to muscle spasms in my neck muscles.

The headaches could last from one day to two weeks- depending on the level of stress.

I' ve been to an neurologist, who diagnosed it as stress headaches too, this is not what concerns me...

WHat really concerns me is when I turn my neck to either side, there' s a " grinding"  noise - It' s as though the disks are rubbing together, it sounds like sandpaper being rubbed on soundpaper.,

I mentioned this to the neurologist and he didn' t seemed to be bothered but I' m worried that this might get worse.

Please advise> ?

Dear Loki
this can be an indication of osteoarthritis or other bone disease of the neck vertebrae - it will be visible on an x/ray - please ask your GP to send you for neck x/rays.