Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-01-30

Neck spasms (what medication is safe?)

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have been suffering very painful spasms in my neck the past two weeks that do not seem to get better. Is there any medication like a muscle relaxant that is safe to use during pregnancy? I have gone through some financial stress the last 5 months, which I think might be the contributing factor for the stiff muscles in my neck. Thank you.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Muscle relaxants do carry a risk in pregancy and I'd advice not taking any without consulting your gynae first. Your doctor may prescribe something to reduce the tension which will reduce the spasms

1
Posted by: unsure | 2009-01-30

Do we have equivalent medication in South Africa to Oxycontin and Flexeril? I am aware of and am using Temgesic and baclofen. How best can one aviod tolerance to painkillers and them not working as effectively. Obviuosly taking as few as possible helps but is not always possible especailly when prescribed over long periods of time.

Reply to unsure