Posted by: Anonie | 2012-01-16

Neck spasms

Hi Dr

I have been getting neck spasms on the right side of neck in the muscle that runs on the side behind the ear and into the scalp.

I seem to be getting them more frequently and the spasm in itself is not painfull at all and I would most likely not even have known about it if it wasnt for the severe ear ache and swollen gland under my jaw line.

I first got it mid 2011 then again about 3 months later and now it comes at about 3 week intervals, I am basically living on spasmeds.

What can I do to prevent this spasm? I do not have a new pillow (same one as the last 18 months, never had problems the first 12 months) I sleep in the same position (I think) and nothing else has changed from how I work or write

I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for massage treatment, stretching and exercise advice. I also suggest that you consult an occupational therapist to evaluate your workstation, as this can have a large influence on muscle spasm. In the interim, you can apply Transact patches to the affected area to reduce inflammation and this in turn will help to reduce the muscle spasm.