Posted by: Waynr | 2010-02-25

Neck soreness

Hi there. The other day, after I had a haircut, the barber, who also gives head massages, massaged my head and neck. But he also turned my head to both sides, and basically cracking sounds were made, similar to knuckles cracking, except louder and in the neck.

Is that supposed to be beneficial? Is it an Indian head massage or a Thai massage? What exactly did he do? Thanks for any advice.

Expert ImageReflexology expert

Persoanlly I would be concerned if someone, who is not 'trained', cracks any bones in my body.
Without knowing the full story it sounds like its something that is not a chiropractor - should not be doing.

The 'cracking' normally is a clicking of bones - or realigning them, if you know what you doing. It can feel good or even if there was pain - not have any pain - your body releases endorphins (its natural pain killers).
So if it is done proper it can be beneficial - of not - it can create a problem, even if you didn;t have one.

The only suggestion I can give - not know the barber or the situation, is that a head massage is fine - not force or sudden movements should be done - unless trained for that.

Hope this helps.