Posted by: Question | 2011-10-27

Neck pain / tingly finger

Hello doc, for over a month now I have had a niggling feeling in my neck...let me explain, I stretch every morning as I have done since the age of 14 (am now 35), I feel so good after I have done it. I also unfortuantely have a habit of clicking my neck and back too (which I know isnt good). For the past month it feels as though I have a strain down the left hand side of my neck into my back (not sure if I want to click it or stretch it). Its not too sore, its very irritating though, and when I sit at my desk at work, its much worse. Yesterday I notice that my the fingernail on my index finger goes a little numb and tingly when I put my neck in a certain position. What have I done to myself? I am very scared. What should I do ?

By clicking your neck, you can cause damage to the facet joints between the cervical vertebrae. A process of inflammation can irritate the nerves leaving the cervical spine. This can be the cause for the parathesia (tingling feeling in your finger). I suggest that you consult your doctor for x-rays of your cervical spine and a possible MRI scan. Treatment will depend on the findings.

In the interim, you can use Ibuprofen tablets and Robaxin to ease the muscle tension and to alleviate the pain. These products are available over the counter.