Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2011-08-29

Neck Pain

Hi doc, these past few weeks my neck has been really sore... can''t move it too well. The pain is on the right side, just below my ear. I used to sleep with two pillows, but stopped because it was too uncomfortable and it would hurt my neck. I started sleeping with the one, and it was fine for a while. Last night I decided to sleep with no pillow and it was confortable, but during the night my neck became so excrutiatingly sore I had to get my pillow again. I''m not taking pain killers because I don''t think that will resolve the problem. My mother has a history of neck pain, but I''m only 24 and I don''t want to have these problems forever- what kind of doctor should I go see? Thank you.

Hannah

You most probably have severe muscle spasm of the muscles in the cervical area. I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist for physiotherapy. You can also consult a chiropractor to loosen the facet joints in your neck. Investing in a Tempur memory foam pillow that is ergonomically shaped, will be beneficial, as it will provide excellent support to the cervical spine. Interim you can apply Voltaren gel onto the areas of pain, followed by a hot compress.

Good luck and advise if there is any change.