Posted by: Megan | 2009-08-31

Neck Pain

Hi, I had 2 disks replaced in my neck in May this year (C5& 6, C6& 7). Apparently disks were worn away due to lack of curve in my neck and disks were starting to ' splinter' . According to Neuro sgn, the op was successful but I am still sore...sometimes the same level of pain as before the op! There is a constant stiffness and tension like pain in my neck, trapezium and sometimes upper back. When I try doing the excercises the physio gave me in hospital, the movement is painful and limited. Have spoken to others who had immediate relief after op ...initial pain is gone but replaced by a different pain...if that makes sense! Am I being impatient u in terms of recovery? Have seen physio without success. Would a bio kinetisist (spell?) help???? Please advise! meg

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Megan
Every patient experiences pain relief differently and the time it takes to completely disappear also differs. If this is really bothersome you need to see the neurosurgeon who operated on you again for a check-up. Heat therapy may also help, but please ask your doctor to check you out again.

Posted by: joey | 2009-09-14

Hi, I had a neck fusion in 2006 (C 4,5,6). For the last two months I am experiencing a burning sensation around the back of my neck. When I move my neck it sounds like bubbles bursting. I use an anti inflamatory tablet which is not working anymore. I can even feel this burning sensation in my left arm. My first operation was very traumatic and I dont want to have another op - I will be seeing my doctor on the 22nd after a MRI scan the previous day - Should I get a second opinion and can you recommend someone.

Reply to joey