Posted by: David | 2011-10-31

Neck Muscle

I experience pain in a muscle that runs down the right side of my neck and along the top of my right shoulder when i run long distances. I run fairly relaxed and comfortable until i feel the pain slowly comming out. It is very painful to bend my head downwards so as to look at the road during this time. I try to massage it whilst running with my left hand but this doesnt really help. I can actually feel a hard muscle in this area. Is this a common problem and what can the cause be, and what do you suggest i do to relieve the pain. I have been running long distances now for 11 years and this problem has only been bothering me for about the last year or so.

Hi David

That can be due to tension when running. The arms and shoulders can cause this if tight, and so that's likely the cause. You need to look at how you carry your arms, lower them if possible, relax. Relaxation is a tricky thing because the more you focus on relaxing, the more difficult it is. But if you can relax from the face down, then you have a better chance of avoiding this.

It is common, though, and it's almost always due to tension in the shoulders and neck. Unusual that it's new for you, makes me think that maybe there's something else that recently happened to cause a bit of tension in the shoulders, maybe a slight muscle spasm or knot that just needs to be worked out. Which means maybe you can accelerate relaxation by seeing someone to massage it out. It'll hurt, but it usually helps!