Question
Posted by: Tortoise | 2008/08/24

Neck line - sagging skin

I am 40 years old - My face feel rundown and I am ageing fast -
I have the typical blonde hair/ freckles / sundamage skin.
I use dermastine, that helps with moisterizing as my skin is extemely dry and use Photoderm sunblock daily.
But lately I feel that the creams does not penetrate my skin properly. -
Is sit time for a peel, laser - there are so many on the market - which would you recommend that is cost effective as I believe one treatment is not enough.
My neck starts to look like a tortoise neck - the skin is permanantly loose and shows a lot of lines with neck movement - It feels that I have to much skin for my neck size - When I pull it to the side it smooths out - I have tried many neck creams - from the most expensive &  best on the market as they proclaim - nothing helps - help please any good salon treatments &  home treatments to follow up on that

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘Tortoise’, thank you for the question.

You have a number of options for improving both the condition of the skin and increasing its elasticity and tone. Your best option would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the areas of concern and prescribe the best and most cost effective treatment for you.

I will list a number of treatment options as follows:

Firstly, you should consider a good topical regime consisting of a course of glycolic acid peels, moisturizers containing alpha hydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, vitamin A, vitamin C, and the anti-oxidant idebenone (Prevage MD). I would look at product ranges such as NeoStrata, Environ, etc.

Secondly the above should be combined with some form of technology based treatment:
1. Laser: Fraxel, and Lumenis Ultra FX. These will achieve both skin rejuvenation and some skin tightening as well.
2. Skin Rejuvenation (eMax, eLight, Ellipse IPL, etc) combined with skin tightening technologies such as Refirme, Thermage, and Titan.
3. Photo Dynamic Therapy (PDT) where one will combine both the Revive Light (830nm) and the Plus Light (near infrared) – known as the Omnilux - with the following treatment protocol:
A 20% ALA application on the skin (face and neck) for 1.5 hours followed immediately by the Revive Light.
This will be followed by 3 sessions of the Plus Light with 2 days between the treatments.
Following this a number of weekly sessions alternating between the Revive and Plus lights
The object of the above PDT treatment is to achieve both skin rejuvenation and skin tightening and may be the most cost effective treatment.