Question
Posted by: Bella | 2011/12/05

Neck

I have these tingling sensations running down my arms an into my fingers, have had a x-ray done which revealed three discs in my neck that have worn away which is causing those sensations, but I am finding it difficult to run as well as being very very tired! I am training for the 2012 Comrades Marathon.My question to you is where to from here, is my first port of call a nuero surgeon to determine the extent of the deterioration or would physio help release the nerve that seems to be trapped, the other question is me running the Comrades a pipe dream, what do you advise me to do.
Many thanks

Hi Bella

I think physio first, yes, because if you can be conservative it's always much better than being aggressive.

And as much as you'll want to get training, I think the first priority is to treat the problem at its source, and then move onto Comrades training. I'm not sure whether your fatigue running is related to the nerves, it's possible, but it could of course be unrelated. But either way, the important thing is to sort out the problem, and then train.

I do think Comrades is realistic, certainly. Obviously, depends on your running history - you've done marathons, maybe even Comrades, and if that's the case, then you have this sound base to fall back on. Even if not, you have enough time, but only if you can commit to a solid period of training, without interruption. So the biggest risk is that you start training then your problem returns, you lose a week in Feb, then another week in March, maybe two weeks in April. That kind of stop-start training is far more challenging than delaying the start, and getting a solid 4 or 5 months in. So rather be patient now, to benefit later, if that makes sense!

2
Posted by: Bella | 2012/02/13

Thanks you

Reply to Bella
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/01/06

Hi Bella

Reply to fitnessdoc