Posted by: J | 2011-11-07

My daughter is 14 years old. She has been menstruating for the past two years. For the past three weeks she has been permanently nauseous. The doctor has done numerous blood tests. She has had a gastroscopy and sonar, but no definite diagnosis. Somebody mentioned to me that young girls, after starting to menstruate, sometimes get something (like a growth) on their ovaries. This can apparently cause nausea.

Is this true? If so what is this condition called? How serious is it –  especially with regard to her fertility? What must be done to treat this condition?

A growth on the ovaries, like endometriosis, will present with severe abdominal pain and not nausea. I suggest that you consult a gynaecologist for a pelvic ultrasound. You should also reconsult your doctor to further investigate her nausea.